55Kab
14 years ago
 Rattletrap p3 S.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
14 years ago

I think it would be pretty straight forward to settle this argument, just send the chassis number off to VW and get a birth certificate. The birth certificate will have the year of manufacture on it, job done. But I don't think you want to do that, you'd rather try and keep the legend alive. Maybe we can have a whip around and I'll send off for it...

pre67vw wrote:

I think Rob's missed the point of what I was trying to say, in that I don't think that Volkswagen's records are 100% accurate, shown by the odd list of Deluxe items that they say were apparently fitted to my old 1953 rock-bottom RHD Standard Model - UK reg LOW514, when I know the car for a start had no 'trim strips' or 'chrome front indicators' (on a semaphore car!) and not much else :?

I don't think it too mad to consider that when making the first major changes to the company's survival bread and butter car that they would build a few experimental cars first, as a tryout rather than gamble wrecking the sales surge of their product and then sinking. So, as their records don't show numbers or info for these few cars - for me this doesn't mean it didn't happen.

As for Rattletrap's numbers, the clearly shown body number, 115511 makes it a 1950 according to the Samba listings (and blows out the 'its really an oval body with a split window grafted in' theory that some here love to pedal). The chassis number is hardly visible and I haven't yet discovered the ID plate which is not behind the spare. What would I gain by sending a request in to VW :?:

55Kab - brilliant:beer:
I really wanted to get a copy of that VWM cover and feature, it's straight into the Ratteltrap collection.

Big thanks to you, 54 Gertie and everyone else that has posted Rattletrap items here. Keep 'em coming :d

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago
I have always found Volkswagens records regarding chassis numbers to be spot on.  ostrich-burying-head.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
14 years ago

In the August 73 Safer Motoring there's their first 'ancient beetles register' list and Tony states that it's a 1951 and the chassis number is 1-0433703
(Which makes it early 53!)
:wink:

VW Stan wrote:

If the current chassis number is different then that doesn't make it an experimental car, just makes it a zwitter on a 1950 chassis...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
14 years ago

I have always found Volkswagens records regarding chassis numbers to be spot on.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I agree.:beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Ovaltine
14 years ago
A car of such significance should be in the hands of someone who will put it back on the show circuit, with VW GB or in a national transport museum :evil:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Standard split
14 years ago

If the current chassis number is different then that doesn't make it an experimental car, just makes it a zwitter on a 1950 chassis...

pre67vw wrote:

Point still missed – this 'Zwitter' body has a 1950 number :wink:
https://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx60/rattletrapvw/RattleHeadAche.jpg   RattleHeadAche.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
pre67vw
14 years ago

Point still missed – this 'Zwitter' body has a 1950 number :wink:

Standard split wrote:

:roll:

so if I weld in a 1950 body number into my cabrio, does that make mine an 'experimental' cabrio made in 1950? Body number counts for very little in my book, especially on a car that's had an extensive amount of work done to it.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Besides the above, you did not post a photo of the number so i call bluff.The car was destined for the VW museum but after an inspection they backed out.This was documented in one of the VW motoring features written by Tony.

:twisted:
GKL 7
14 years ago

so if I weld in a 1950 body number into my cabrio, does that make mine an 'experimental' cabrio made in 1950? Body number counts for very little in my book, especially on a car that's had an extensive amount of work done to it.

pre67vw wrote:

I'm in on that one with you Rob.This time next year we could be Millionaires:shock:
Standard split
14 years ago

I'm in on that one with you Rob.This time next year we could be Millionaires:shock:

'50 Karmann wrote:

:lol: Morecombe and Wise, The Two Ronnies, Cannon and Ball, The Chuckle Brothers, Rod Hull and Emu, Tony and Rattletrap – now the all new double act pre67vw and '50 Karmann :lol:

Ovaltine
14 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

So you'd buy a car on the strength of a chassis number:roll:

Yeh, like no one ever changes the chassis numbers on cars 😳

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
GKL 7
14 years ago

So you'd buy a car on the strength of a chassis number:roll:

Yeh, like no one ever changes the chassis numbers on cars 😳

Ovaltine wrote:

Ovaltine,you're sending us all to sleep:roll:
Standard split
14 years ago

A car of such significance should be in the hands of someone who will put it back on the show circuit, with VW GB or in a national transport museum :evil:

Ovaltine wrote:

Rattletrap would be the very last car I'd part with out of my collection – in fact he's now listed in my will – you never know '50 Karmann's bungling 'hit' may manage to pull the job off some day :shock:

Its like Tony used to say, he'd never sell Rattletrap and keep him to the very end, which he did, despite getting good offers ('the sun the moon and the stars' to quote Tony) for the car. Anyway, I doubt many could afford Rattletrap at what his real worth is :roll:

I do hope to get Rattletrap to some VW and classic car shows (Lavenham VW event 2012 is in the Rattletrap diary, Lavenham Council are already building a marble plinth to stand him on).:wink:

Standard split
14 years ago

I think it would be pretty straight forward to settle this argument, just send the chassis number off to VW and get a birth certificate. The birth certificate will have the year of manufacture on it, job done. But I don't think you want to do that, you'd rather try and keep the legend alive. Maybe we can have a whip around and I'll send off for it...
:lol: :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

Okay, so what is the method today of contacting Volkswagen for a 'birth certificate' for your vintage VW :?:

Is there an internet or email method, or is it just good old 'snail mail' :?

Whatever it is though, can someone provide current details so I can get to the bottom of it all and have Rattletrap's year(s) of birth(s) at hand 😛

pre67vw
14 years ago

Okay, so what is the method today of contacting Volkswagen for a 'birth certificate' for your vintage VW :?:

Is there an internet or email method, or is it just good old 'snail mail' :?

Whatever it is though, can someone provide current details so I can get to the bottom of it all and have Rattletrap's year(s) of birth(s) at hand 😛

Standard split wrote:

You can do it online:

https://automuseum.volkswagen.de/urkunden.html 

I had to use the Google translator to find out what it said:

They have a Volkswagen and want to know more about its history?
Request our vehicle identity certificate for only 35,00 €.

Here's how:
Just enter your name and the VIN number on the form.
Motor data may not be published for privacy reasons. If you tell us, however, the engine number of your vehicle, we can check whether it is the original engine.

All other data, we search for you and send you the certificate in the mail.

Please note that may be due to the variety of requests and the costly search, the processing time of about four weeks.

Name:
VIN:
Model (if known):
Motor number (if known):
Payment: Prepayment
Credit card

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
14 years ago

Whatever it is though, can someone provide current details so I can get to the bottom of it all and have Rattletrap's year(s) of birth(s) at hand :p

Standard split wrote:

Don't do it :!: It would be like opening pandora's box :!:

The guessing and not really knowing what year the original Rattletrap was, and then whether House of Haselock used an Oval shell in the rebuild is all part of the mystique of what makes Rattletrap...Rattletrap

GKL 7
14 years ago

55Kab wrote:

Let's have the Truth.
You can ring up or fax and a nice German lady will take your payment card details and send you a birth certificate.
Should be quite quick, as they will only have to go back as far as the seventies records, to find a 1303's chassis numbers details.
Standard split
14 years ago

Request our vehicle identity certificate for only 35,00 €.

Please note that may be due to the variety of requests and the costly search, the processing time of about four weeks.

VW wrote:

I'm tearing my hair out on this one. They'll probably end-up searching out the details of four different Beetles that make up Rattletrap (I call him the Fab Four now as well as Frankensplit).:?

Will end up: Please note that it may be due to the variety of requests and the very, very costly search, the processing time of about four months and two computer replacements, with the issuing of four birth cerftificates and a final cost to you of 3,500.000 €.:shock:

The guessing and not really knowing what year the original Rattlestrap was, and then whether House of Haselock used an Oval shell in the rebuild is all part of the mystique of what makes Rattletrap...Rattletrap

55Kab wrote:

Words of wisdom from 55Kab, but I think the mystique would still remain after VW have surely given up on old Rattletrap themselves :roll:

AND ANYWAY, WHAT THE HELL INFORMATION DO I SEND VW:?: :oops:

Sunroof53
14 years ago
What chassis number are you going to give them?The current one or the the one posted in the 1973 Safer motoring?