pre67vw
14 years ago

Okay a bit OTT - maybe I'm peeved I missed the car:oops:

Ovaltine wrote:

Why? did you want to dive into the VW scene and be at the top just by getting famous old Beetle? :wink: :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Ovaltine
14 years ago
:oops:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Sunroof53
14 years ago
You really need to read the whole thread to get the big picture .The car has gone to a good home but doubt we will ever see it again .Well,unless 50 Karmann's hit man pulls his finger out :twisted:
GKL 7
14 years ago

I see its fallen into the hands of someone that thinks that he can just dive into the VW scene and be at the top just by getting famous old Beetle. Its Tony and Rattletrap not Standard T**t and Rattletrap and will always be so in my mind.
Sorry to let off abit:!:

Ovaltine wrote:

OK!John(Standardsplit) and i share very different opinions concerning our hobby,but i'm not having this.
If you were around the VW scene in the 70/80's as you say you were, you would know who John is,the cars he has owned and the good he has done for the hobby.
He hasn't just dived in and he is not trying to satisfy anything but his passion for what he loves.

Rattletrap is hardly the "TOP",but a famous old car from the British VW circuit,and if you had read the whole post you would have realised John had loved this car since he was a boy and forfilled a 30+ year old ambition to own the car.

And why if you are going to call names,why not call names why hide behind ****.
Certain areas of Rattletraps history are very dubious and have been proven so.

Motto.....read the WHOLE post before you jump in with both feet and it also helps if you are in possesion of the facts NOT what you believe to be true.

p.s i'll give you the *******'s,i've just noticed when sending E.T a PM you can't swear on here,even if you try:lol:
Robb
14 years ago
any plans to bring it to Stanford Hall? πŸ™‚
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Sorry its comments like

"I met Tony a couple of times. The last time was in 1996 at Peppercorn where he displayed the car. Whenever I spoke to him, he seemed quite rude and he certainly didn't seem interetsed in answering my questions about the authenticity of his 'experimental car' claim, so from that point on, I've always dismissed the story as utter bullsh*t.

Ovaltine wrote:

I did not find this at all!

Rich Oakley wrote:

Sorry, but I found him to be abrasive and disinterested whenever I walked over to have a chat with him about his car's history. Maybe I caught him on several bad days.

Despite the car's iconic status, it has a strangely mythical history and even Tony admitted this in his letter to the VWOC (GB) in his letter dated 1963 (see previous page).

The current owner, Sir John 'secret squirrel' Miller, has been a devout split window Beetle enthusiast since 1947.

PS: Welcome to the forum :lol: :beer:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago

a devout split window Beetle enthusiast since 1947.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Gosh!! he's looking well on it.
Standard split
14 years ago
Standard Split had more or less decided not to make further posts as he felt that he'd had his fair share of flak recently.

But taking flak from newbies is something else.

Are these two related :?

Saw this iconic mega-mile old VW up for sale about a year ago and it was sold before I had a chance. used to see it regularly at VW meets during the 1970s and 1980's and loved reading the updates in safer vw? motoring of Rattletrap's adventures with Tony and its 'resurrection' form the big smash.
I searched the web for it and found this site. Without trawling through the whole of this thread I can say Tony Levy was always keen to discuss his car and with enthusiasm, and some of the comments made here about him are unjust. Why are there so many VW 'enthusiasts' here trying to discredit it, falling over themselves to show it is something else, as well as being a little unkind to Tony. Whatever it is it is a very well known and historic VW that's certainly done an amazing mileage I see its fallen into the hands of someone that thinks that he can just dive into the VW scene and be at the top just by getting famous old Beetle. Its Tony and Rattletrap not Standard T**t and Rattletrap and will always be so in my mind.
Sorry to let off abit:!:

Ovaltine wrote:

As the owner of a 60's Beetle back in the early 90's i found myself Googling a few things the other night, and remembered reading about Rattletrap in VolksWorld magazine, and eventually found myself on this site.
Before i go on a rant, are the following quotes meant to be for real or just mucking around?

Now i have to admit, that it's brilliant news that the car is still around, and has been kept from going abroad, but all of the 'boasting' type posts have taken the wonder off the whole story for me.

It's almost as if you think you now have 'lengendary' status in the VW world due to buying the right car. But in my eyes the whole thing was Tony & Rattletrap. It would be a bit like buying the original "Emu" puppet and then thinking that "Rod Hull & Emu" could now magically convert to "John Smith & Emu" ...but it doesn't work like that.
Rattletrap became famous due to Tony, and trying to retake the limelight just by getting your hand in your wallett just seems wrong to me.
Enjoy the car, but please drop all the "look at me, i own the best vw in the world" stuff, as it really does taint what is a great vw story.
I guess i might have taken the whole thing the wrong way, but that's the way it comes across to me.

Have a great day.

tguk wrote:

These one-posters are not what makes the forum interesting, or for building on the community feeling that the pre67VW site has.

You can bet that like tguk, Ovaltime has put the boot in and run off never to post again. I wonder if these individuals away from their hiding place behind the computer screen would make their comments to my face :evil:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Standard split
14 years ago

any plans to bring it to Stanford Hall? :)

Robb wrote:

Can't imagine the flak I might get there – I've had plenty here recently:evil:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Standard split
14 years ago

The current owner, Sir John 'secret squirrel' Miller, has been a devout split window Beetle enthusiast since 1947.

PS: Welcome to the forum :lol: :beer:

Rich Oakley wrote:

Yes, I drove my Mum to infant school in a brand-new 1947 split you know :shock: :evil:

Sunroof53
14 years ago
Its a shame you feel like that Standard split,but you have to take the rough with the smooth on any forum and i personally think you owe it to Rt and its supporters to attend at least one more show.I think you would be surprised at the positive interest it would create.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

I honestly think most would just wonder past thinking "what a nice Zwitter", and a few "oldies" or people from off here would love to have a nose about. 😎

And as you said, unlike on your other cars, adding miles to old Rattletap would increase his value no end. :wink:

C'mon, bring it to Stanford Hall. :d
William
Sunroof53
14 years ago

Yes, I drove my Mum to infant school in a brand-new 1947 split you know :shock: :evil:

Standard split wrote:

Mind you, Stanford is a long drive for someone in there 80's.maybe a house party instead :d
Robb
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

naa bring it. People hide behind computers with their opinions. Bring it out, I'd love to see it. Aren't classic cars there for admiring?!
pre67vw
14 years ago

I honestly think most would just wonder past thinking "what a nice Zwitter"

54 Gertie wrote:

I think most people would wander past and say "slam it on earless"...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
14 years ago

I think most people would wander past and say "slam it on earless and fit a narrowed front beam"...

pre67vw wrote:

Fixed that for you... :lol:

55Kab
14 years ago

i personally think you owe it to Rt and its supporters to attend at least one more show.I think you would be surprised at the positive interest it would create.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Well said Mike.

Come on John.....Tony was never afraid to have Rattletrap out and about so I think you owe it not just to us but to Rattletrap himself to give him a little outing or two. :beer:

Ovaltine
14 years ago

OK!John(Standardsplit) and i share very different opinions concerning our hobby,but i'm not having this.
If you were around the VW scene in the 70/80's as you say you were, you would know who John is,the cars he has owned and the good he has done for the hobby.
He hasn't just dived in and he is not trying to satisfy anything but his passion for what he loves.

Rattletrap is hardly the "TOP",but a famous old car from the British VW circuit,and if you had read the whole post you would have realised John had loved this car since he was a boy and forfilled a 30+ year old ambition to own the car.

And why if you are going to call names,why not call names why hide behind ****.
Certain areas of Rattletraps history are very dubious and have been proven so.

Motto.....read the WHOLE post before you jump in with both feet and it also helps if you are in possesion of the facts NOT what you believe to be true.

p.s i'll give you the *******'s,i've just noticed when sending E.T a PM you can't swear on here,even if you try:lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

No swearing meant the T**t was Twit - Ive now realised it looked like Tw*t if you see what I mean:? Wrong to use on either count though
Nice to see you all rally round when someone pokes a stick into the nest

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Standard split
14 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

Gosh!! he's looking well on it.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Mind you, Stanford is a long drive for someone in there 80's.maybe a house party instead :d

Sunroof53 wrote:

No swearing meant the T**t was Twit…

Ovaltine wrote:

The ancient 'Standard Twit' is planning to be at Lavenham Vintage VW show if he's still around.

Now here comes the 'Twit's' question – when is Lavenham? Not more than 3 weeks away I hope, may not last that long:evil:

Severe-old-age.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
14 years ago

Now here comes the 'Twit's' question – when is Lavenham? Not more than 3 weeks away I hope, may not last that long:evil:

Standard split wrote:

IF there is another one, it won't be until 2012
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW