Boris1966
15 years ago
Hi there all!

My 12 volt 1966 beetle has started to develop a problem :cry:
It wouldn't start one morning, thought this was because i had been sorting out a problem with the lights and the car hadn't been run for a while..... so assumed the battery had become flat.
I bump-started the car, drove it 25 miles, checked it would start again then put it to sleep for the evening.
Next morning it wouldn't start again so i bump-started it...... but this time the red generator light on the dash stayed on brightly so i didn't risk driving it
The voltage on the battery increased up to about 13volts when the engine was reved but the red light still didn't go off.
I then changed the fanbelt and at high revs the light went off......... however,
After about 10miles the red light came on again and stayed on for the rest of the 15mile journey.
The car managed to get me home (as beetles always do!!) but in crap weather my wipers slowed down and lights faded so i switched hm all off and when i got home the battery was flat!!

Anyone got any ideas?

I bought new brushes for the dynamo, and will tighten the fanbelt up by the remaining shim....

Thank you :?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Most likely that the dynamo has had it. The Haynes manual tells you the procedure for checking whether it's the regulator or dynamo (from experience, I've found it's usually the dynamo).
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Boris1966
15 years ago
Thanks Rich,
I'll look at the Haynes Manual.
I'm going to change the brushes and tighten the fanbelt too. I think if we discover that the dynamo has had it then i'll probably consider changing over to an alternator rather than replacing the dynamo. Don't really fancy an engine out job in this weather though!! :?
Batton
15 years ago
I had a similar problem last year and it turned out to be the voltage regulator. Its worth going through a process of elimination testing both dynamo and regulator.
Batton
Rach66
15 years ago
I also had a red light staying on last year and it turned out to be the regulator.
Boris1966
15 years ago
Thanks to all your responses.

Problem solved......

The brushes has worn on the dynamo and the armature was dirty so now runs with no red light!!
I didn't changes the brushes yet though. Does anyone know off-hand what size they are. I bought some off ebay (have't arrived yet) but not sure they're correct. The bosch number is Z29..... if this helps...
ta,
Leane :!: