pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
As it looks like the cabrio won't be seeing the road again until next spring (unless Santa brings me some nice Reichert carbs:wink: ) I was wondering what to do to make sure it keeps OK over the winter.

And then when spring does eventually come around, should you turn the engine over by hand a few times to get the oil circulating back in the engine before starting it? Or is it better to just start it up regularly?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
14 years ago
The only thing i do is jack the car so the tires are off the ground .I start the engine once a fortnight and keep the battery charged .When im sat in the car i also give the brake pedal a few presses to reduce the chance of seizing up.If your car is in a nice garage i wouldnt worry too much .
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I used to do many things but now I just shut the door and forget about it until May :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
harveypj
14 years ago
jacking the car up is a good Idea but not always easy (restricted room), an alternative is to inflate the tyres to max pressure to help reduce flat spots, and roll car back/forth once a week.
Iv'e often thought about the pros and cons of starting the engine regularly over the winter. Personaly I tend not to since about 80% of engine ware accures during starting and warming up, so unless I want to use the car I just turn the engine by hand ocationaly to stop it sticking up.

I also leave one of the windows half open to keep inside aired (an old cotton duvet cover covers the whole car inc open window.)
I stand the wiper blades of of the window so thet the rubber blades do not set in the one position (so they will 'flip flop properly if ever needed).

Keep battery charged with conditioner too.

Stock......the new custom