James I
12 years ago

I find it kind of ironic really, when a nice original rare/stock car gets lowered and stock fans complain - it's all 'it's his car, he can do what he wants to it...' etc. Now when a lowered car is getting put back the shoe is on the other foot so to speak.

There is definitely a trend towards going back to stock, could be because stock is more valuable to collectors? Or maybe it's just because they drive better?

But to be honest, I think it's great that the guy who lowered it had enough sense to know not to alter the inner wings in the process. And if he has already corrected a bunch of things using NOS parts as well then even better! Sounds like this will be a great car!!

pre67vw wrote:

Thanks, I love vintage volkswagens I wouldn't destroy such a beautiful car,
I changed loads of stuff that was incorrect such as the running board covers with correct early style (not cheap) NOS quater lights correct wing beading window seals Hookys bumper mounts genuine 59 rear wing correct stamped bosch headlights and trim etc etc It had the original beam supplied with it. nothing was chopped up.

I didn't get the time to finish as there was lots going on in my life at that point, and I was really gutted to have to move it on.

monstermoo
12 years ago
Hey James - good to see you on here 😎 .

Sorry if you were upset at the fact I used your photo - it was the quickest one to hand on this particular PC when I started writing the thread.

We've done a hell of a lot of work to this bug since buying it from you almost 2 years ago - as you know.

The beam that you provided was actually a LHD beam, and there were issues with the track rods and ends that were left over from the short beam also.

As I'm sure you appreciate, we bought the car several years ago and in that time have been putting right things that either needed doing or wanted to do from a personal point of view(new clutch, clutch cable, engine seals, HT leads, plugs,accelerator cable, brake slave cylinder,heater box cables, NSF lower door pillar (complete new hookys section), quarter light catch, speedo cable, door handles and locks, window winder mechanism, rot under the wheel arches, new pedal covers, front gearbox mount, gear linkage, interior cosmetics, new horn, indicators (none present at the time) and now the front beam - it's nice to now have a car that we can actually start using on a more regular basis.

Lowering it was obviously your choice when you owned it, and now that the car belongs to us, it is our choice to put it back to how VW intended (with the exception of the dropped spindles :twisted: ).

You'll note that I made no reference to you personally in my original post as I have no desire to engage in any arguments or have any personal grudges here - so please don't be offended.

BTW - if you know of anyone that wants the 6" beam, feel free to get in touch, I've still got it, along with the track rods.

Cheers

Steve
monstermoo
12 years ago
Will remove the photo you reference, if it causes offence.