Sambaguy
15 years ago
A friend of mine is looking for all the trims for his Rometsch Beskow. He is also looking for the cromed "banana" in the front.

Can anyone help?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Bjoern
15 years ago
The side-trim in Trianglestyle for the late Banana is very close to the trim Volvo used in the 1950s - early 1960s. The Banana in Front is difficult because on handmade cars you always have a different fit. Maybe you should contact the Grundmann-family for help. They have examples in their collection and a bodyworker with golden hands.
UserPostedImage
overrestored
15 years ago
The trim is kind of a hard item to figure out on Beeskows.

Allan Potter... also known as "the Metalmeister" in Ventura California... has made a roller to reproduce the Beeskow trim. It is not exactly the same as the Beeskow... the shart point in the center of the trim is round on Allan's trim. He rolls it out in whatever length is needed... then cuts and finishes the ends off by hand. It is very helpful to have the car because otherwise you cannot get the lengths just right. I would suggest buying longer pieces from him... not finished... and then ship them inside of a plastic pipe to your metal fabricator. Then have your fabricator finish off the ends when you can test fit them on the car.

There is a tight spot at the rear of the door... where the trim has to go behind the rear fender when you open the door. The trim is angled here... and you need to get it just right or you will chip the paint on the rear fender.

I can provide photos of these areas and the edges of the doors etc. when you need.

We finished off the ends of each piece on my car... which is more than the factory did. I am pretty sure the factory just cut the trim to length... and left the open cuts at the doors... rather than fitting and finishing the ends.

https://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_dxqx5t 

Alan's trim is on two or three Beeskows I know of. I am not Familiar with the Volvo trim... but if it looks good that might be cheaper and easier!

Also... the hood trim for the front and rear... the long skinny piece that goes down the center of each hood... is a littl bit like Speedster Porsche trim. But smaller. If you cannot find the correct profile I would search for speedster trim from Stoddard.com or from NLA parts in Reno Nevada, USA  rear engine lid logo.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
protect me from what I want
overrestored
15 years ago
I would agree about the license light "banana"... they need to be made by a fabricator when the car is right there in front of them. They should have accurate photos to look at... or an original. I would guess that the Grundmann's would be the best for this in Europe... but any qualified metal body fabricator can make the item if he has enough information. Each car is slightly different... so you a part from one Beeskow will not fit another.

The little lights that go underneath this... to light up the rear license light... are around...

I forget where they came from... are they Kubelwagen??? I have seen them somewhere.

many of the later Beeskows came with two front chrome trim pieces. I know of 4 like this. My car originally had two chrome trims on the front... but one had been removed to allow for a licence plate to be fitted.

this brown car is all original... and has two. I don't really like the way they look with two.

brn-rometsch-1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
SplitPersonality
15 years ago

The trim is kind of a hard item to figure out on Beeskows.

Allan Potter... also known as "the Metalmeister" in Ventura California... has made a roller to reproduce the Beeskow trim. It is not exactly the same as the Beeskow... the shart point in the center of the trim is round on Allan's trim. He rolls it out in whatever length is needed... then cuts and finishes the ends off by hand. It is very helpful to have the car because otherwise you cannot get the lengths just right. I would suggest buying longer pieces from him... not finished... and then ship them inside of a plastic pipe to your metal fabricator. Then have your fabricator finish off the ends when you can test fit them on the car.

There is a tight spot at the rear of the door... where the trim has to go behind the rear fender when you open the door. The trim is angled here... and you need to get it just right or you will chip the paint on the rear fender.

I can provide photos of these areas and the edges of the doors etc. when you need.

We finished off the ends of each piece on my car... which is more than the factory did. I am pretty sure the factory just cut the trim to length... and left the open cuts at the doors... rather than fitting and finishing the ends.

https://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_dxqx5t 

Alan's trim is on two or three Beeskows I know of. I am not Familiar with the Volvo trim... but if it looks good that might be cheaper and easier!

Also... the hood trim for the front and rear... the long skinny piece that goes down the center of each hood... is a littl bit like Speedster Porsche trim. But smaller. If you cannot find the correct profile I would search for speedster trim from Stoddard.com or from NLA parts in Reno Nevada, USA

overrestored wrote:

Interesting info Eric - the Metalmeister-profile; In what way does it differ from the original trim? You say it is more rounded...do you have any pictures of the two versions? In what material does Alana make it? I assume it was stainless on the originals - correct me if I am wrong.
overrestored
15 years ago
Original trim is aluminum... and there is a sharp ridge that runs down the center. if you were to cut the trim... the section would look like }

On Alan's trim... the point in the middle of the section is not a sharp point... it is a softer round edge in the center. It is quite nice... just round instead of pointed. I don't think it is possible for Alan to make the pointed trim without having the bulk material made in extrusion. As it is... he is pulling flat aluminum through a die or a series of dies...to create the profile... so it is impossible to get a sharp point.

I don't have any photos of Alan's trim. Sorry.

overrestored
15 years ago
Clarification...

in the above note... the } is used to describe the shape of the trim because it looks sort of like an }
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
New info and new research on this subject:

All Beeskow-models used a special extruded aluminium profile for side moulding trim. Very very few cars have survived with this intact, as a matter of fact I do not of any with all six pieces intact. (Eric?)

Below is the picture of the original door trim from car number 200. Nice profile - this is the angular cut at the back of the door. The front end (I will picture and post) is a straight cut AND it is indeed welded/filled and "end-finished". Makes sense - as the front of this moulding is very visible when you open the door.

So - with this original piece now in hand - The Rometsch Beeskow Registry will embark on another reproduction excecise. We will assume all owners of the 31 survivors will want/need a set (?). These will be straight and unfinished but we have found an excellent source for the right bolts/clips/plates that hold them to the car. Price and availability will follow....but it is now initiated with this original masterpiece in hand. Thanks again Mr Grundmann!

Please send an email to "[email protected]" to confirm interest. Any and all comments on this topic is also appreicated.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage