Mike Peckham
13 years ago
I think the true essence of Rattletrap is in the story that Tony created around the car and it is that that I think John is valiantly trying to perpetuate. The trouble is that people are now so much more savvy regarding ancient VWs and there are some parts of the tale that just don’t wash, this might account for why the car ended up in an obscure Wild Fowl and Motor Museum in rural East Sussex and not in the factory museum in Wolfsburg.

The car (in it’s 60s and 70s incarnation) was clearly a ’53, the original chassis number confirms this, and in early editions of Beetling Magazine Tony referred to it as a ’53. But Tony’s mileage record related to a car that had been built in 1950. It wasn’t until the late 70s and maybe as late as the early 80s that Tony first hit upon the story of a prototype to explain that his ’53 had been manufactured in 1950, in an attempt to appease the vintage buffs who were now savvy to the progressive refinements and knew when the Zwitter production run began.

The chances of VW creating such a prototype for a run of 100 cars is pretty much zero, not least because there is absolutely no record of it, either official or anecdotal, but also that the logistics of building such a run that so closely resembled the production car of two years hence are unimaginable. :shock:

In many respects it doesn’t matter that the car was originally a ’53 because there almost certainly was a ’50 from which it inherited its mileage record and the two were not only genetically linked, but somehow fused into one by Tony’s tales.

Closer inspection isn’t really necessary as what’s left of 10 BXK now is merely spiritually representative of the original car, the question of the amount of metal dating back to 1953 is purely academic. The connecting thread in the whole Rattletrap tale isn’t the metal but Tony, and now a worthy successor in the form of John. There could be no one better suited to bear the Rattletrap baton! :beer:

John mentioned earlier that there were people wanting this thread closed and maybe deleted, he suggested this might be because of jealousy. I’m not one of those people, I think threads should be able to run their course, if I have an objection to this thread it is that it is responsible for perpetuating a number of untruths about the car which are likely to become perceived as truth if left unchallenged.

Mike 😎

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
pre67vw
13 years ago
Great post Mike!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago
John, can you feel any weld above the headliner? :wink:

Or get a magnet on the roof by the join in Martins photo, and see if there is any filler there.
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Between the two red dots, there is a line. :wink:

UserPostedImage
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

I think the true essence of Rattletrap is in the story that Tony created around the car and it is that that I think John is valiantly trying to perpetuate. The trouble is that people are now so much more savvy regarding ancient VWs and there are some parts of the tale that just don’t wash, this might account for why the car ended up in an obscure Wild Fowl and Motor Museum in rural East Sussex and not in the factory museum in Wolfsburg.

The car (in it’s 60s and 70s incarnation) was clearly a ’53, the original chassis number confirms this, and in early editions of Beetling Magazine Tony referred to it as a ’53. But Tony’s mileage record related to a car that had been built in 1950. It wasn’t until the late 70s and maybe as late as the early 80s that Tony first hit upon the story of a prototype to explain that his ’53 had been manufactured in 1950, in an attempt to appease the vintage buffs who were now savvy to the progressive refinements and knew when the Zwitter production run began.

The chances of VW creating such a prototype for a run of 100 cars is pretty much zero, not least because there is absolutely no record of it, either official or anecdotal, but also that the logistics of building such a run that so closely resembled the production car of two years hence are unimaginable. :shock:

In many respects it doesn’t matter that the car was originally a ’53 because there almost certainly was a ’50 from which it inherited its mileage record and the two were not only genetically linked, but somehow fused into one by Tony’s tales.

Closer inspection isn’t really necessary as what’s left of 10 BXK now is merely spiritually representative of the original car, the question of the amount of metal dating back to 1953 is purely academic. The connecting thread in the whole Rattletrap tale isn’t the metal but Tony, and now a worthy successor in the form of John. There could be no one better suited to bear the Rattletrap baton! :beer:

John mentioned earlier that there were people wanting this thread closed and maybe deleted, he suggested this might be because of jealousy. I’m not one of those people, I think threads should be able to run their course, if I have an objection to this thread it is that it is responsible for perpetuating a number of untruths about the car which are likely to become perceived as truth if left unchallenged.

Mike 😎

Mike Peckham wrote:

As Rob says, prose respect!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Thanks, guys:beer:
UserPostedImage
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sunroof53
13 years ago
This thread is going round in circles .All the pages from VWM have already been posted and disscussed at least twice before around page 11 .

Brilliant post Mike P :beer:
55Kab
13 years ago

This thread is going round in circles .All the pages from VWM have already been posted and disscussed at least twice before around page 11 .

Brilliant post Mike P :beer:

Sunroof53 wrote:

To be honest I didn't look through all the pages when I posted and I'd forgotten what had been said but as John asked me, I thought I'd look those issues out.

I don't think it's a case of going round in circles, more the debate continues until we know what really happened at Haselock's, although I think even John now needs to concede the car is not and never was a 1950 prototype...

Agree with what's been said above with regard to Mike's post.

55Kab
13 years ago

Thanks, guys:beer:
UserPostedImage

Rattletrap wrote:

Doesn't matter how much of you is really you, because you is you :!:

Whatever Tony has said previously...the comments in his last post are spot on for me.

There's a story associated with this British Vintage VW and is doesn't matter what's been changed including the body shell, if it's black, is wearing 10 BXK then it's Rattletrap and should be exhibited at UK VW shows for many more years to come :!: :beer:

Ovaltine
13 years ago

Whatever Tony has said previously...the comments in his last post are spot on for me.

There's a story associated with this British Vintage VW and is doesn't matter what's been changed including the body shell, if it's black, is wearing 10 BXK then it's Rattletrap and should be exhibited at UK VW shows for many more years to come :!: :beer:

55Kab wrote:

That's a good point made. The car was well known, even back in the 1970's. Its been mentioned here, there and everywhere, I saw it on TV once too. It really takes me back to those halcyon days of VW Action in the late 70s early 80s, it was a star of the show even then:beer:

A slice of British motoring eccentricity and VW folklore. So what that this is changed, that is wrong, that bit is later, it will never be concours and would be ruined if it was:!:

This car has more to tell than a whole row of vintage Beetles put together :wink:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Standard split
13 years ago

Mike 😎

Mike Peckham wrote:

Not to take anything away from Martin and all the others who have made such a great effort with lots searching and keyed-in info and advice, this tops the lot. I really don't think I could have written such a good piece. That's not to say I agree that that Rattletrap is not a '50, but reading this makes me think it matters not if he is a '50 or a '53 :beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Not to take anything away from Martin and all the others who have made such a great effort with lots searching and keyed-in info and advice, this tops the lot. I really don't think I could have written such a good piece. That's not to say I agree that that Rattletrap is not a '50, but reading this makes me think it matters not if he is a '50 or a '53 :beer:

Standard split wrote:

UserPostedImage
bruce
13 years ago

..... reading this makes me think it matters not if he is a '50 or a '53

Standard split wrote:

Indeed.
Now we just have to deduct the first 3 years of mileage from the log book.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
I just wanted to say a quick thank you to all the people who have said nice things about my posting above. I have received a surprising number of messages about it off board too. I’m quite touched and just a little bemused.

Had I known it would be so widely read and approved I would have worked on the syntax before posting it!

Mike :beer:

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

So like i said on numerous occassions.....send 'em the numbers,let's see the answers.

'50 Karmann wrote:

The body number is clearly marked and according to the Samba which is accurate, Rattletrap was born in 1950. :roll:

Sorry again Rob. Another thread 'Rattlejacked'.:unsure:

Please can we keep this thread on topic about MOTs. That's what I started it for.:x

'tamtampamela' was easier to tolerate...

64rotbox wrote:

This extract explains a lot: "Tamtampamela’s not new to the internet, and knows quite well that when you get in a fight with people online, they say the most hateful things. “Die in a fire” and such statements." :mellow:
Ovaltine was told to burn……:shock:
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

The body number is clearly marked and according to the Samba which is accurate, Rattletrap was born in 1950. :roll:

Rattletrap wrote:

But, as you say, what we need is hard evidence from Volkswagen themselves. Oh, hang on, we have it! According to Volkswagen, the chassis number that Tony quoted as the original (1-0433703), makes it a 1.1 litre De-Luxe with black paintwork and red interior, that left the factory on 15th January 1953.

So it is what it appears, a 1953 Zwitter!

I guess that’s all the hard evidence we need.

So, back to talking about MOTs then…

Mike :thumbup:

Rattletrap
13 years ago

So it is what it appears, a 1953 Zwitter!

I guess that’s all the hard evidence we need.

Mike Peckham wrote:

Here we go.

Rattletrap's chassis changes are well catalogued here, more especially under his dedicated thread which I'd request people to use in future. Rob has stated that he will unlock it upon request. Rattletrap is dated by his body number which unlike the chassis number is very clearly marked and shows no sign at all of being tampered with. This number specifies July 1950 as date of creation.8)

The amount of threads on these forums taken into 'Rattletrap melt-down' is now reaching epidemic proportions. I'm doing my best now to try and stem the tide before a ban is levied by the administrator.:shock:

Imagine pre67vw with no Rattletrap:omg: .
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Here we go.

Rattletrap's chassis changes are well catalogued here, more especially under his dedicated thread which I'd request people to use in future. Rob has stated that he will unlock it upon request. Rattletrap is dated by his body number which unlike the chassis number is very clearly marked and shows no sign at all of being tampered with. This number specifies July 1950 as date of creation.8)

Rattletrap wrote:

Rob, can you move this to the Rattletrap thread please? :roll:

There was one chassis change documented and this happened after the car was registered by Tony in the Ancient Beetles Register, making the number he quoted the original. In any case, the replacement chassis was a post ‘08/55 type. The chassis number quoted by Tony as the cars original refers to a Jan ’53 Zwitter, (Black with a red interior) so clearly not that of the later chassis.

I understand from what you say that the car has had an earlier chassis fitted between the rebuild and your buying it, if this is the case, any number on there, whether it be legible or not, will bare no significance to the build date of the original car.

Considering the extent of the damage to the car and the amount of replacement panels used in its rebuild, I would not trust that the front clip is the original so any body number on there should be treated with caution.

As you have said, and rightly so, anyone claiming their car to be anything other than what it appears should get hard evidence from Volkswagen themselves to prove their case. Your car appears to be a 1953 Zwitter, the chassis number confirms this.

In order to prove that it is not what it appears, you will need to get hard evidence from Volkswagen that they produced a run of prototypes in 1950 that were exactly the same as the short run of zwitters produced 3 years later and that they issued these cars with chassis numbers that would indicate they were made 3 years later.

Do that and you might have a case.

54 Gertie
13 years ago

EVERYONE HAS HAD ENOUGH,WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT ANYMORE.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Quite. Well, I'd love to hear more about the cars (the black '53) history, and it'd be great to see some photos now and again showing how your getting along with it. Some discussion about what was been replaced over the years, would make for interesting reading.

The problem arises when 8/10 posts on the site contain the same reheated drivel about the car. A real shame, as I'm sure most most on this site do actually like the car, it's a total bitsa, but an interesting one. Thats been ruined IMHO, by all this 'experimental Zwitter prototype' b%$&#£@s. You know as well as everyone else that it's utter rubbish, and although I have some theories I've not yet figured out quite why you insist on keeping that myth going.

Apologies as I've just made yet another post about this car.

:angryinternetface:
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Quite. Well, I'd love to hear more about the cars (the black '53) history, and it'd be great to see some photos now and again showing how your getting along with it. Some discussion about what was been replaced over the years, would make for interesting reading.

The problem arises when 8/10 posts on the site contain the same reheated drivel about the car. A real shame, as I'm sure most most on this site do actually like the car, it's a total bitsa, but an interesting one. Thats been ruined IMHO, by all this 'experimental Zwitter prototype' b%$&#£@s. You know as well as everyone else that it's utter rubbish, and although I have some theories I've not yet figured out quite why you insist on keeping that myth going.

Apologies as I've just made yet another post about this car.

:angryinternetface:

54 Gertie wrote:

Here's a letter from Tony Levy to the VWOC Magazine 'Beetling'. Tony was actively involved with the VWOC and regularly wrote a letter for publication in the club's monthly magazine. During the early 1960s, he always refered to the car as 'my '53'. Here's a good example from June 1963...
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.