Last Triumph
13 years ago

Interesting. TBH that's something I didn't know existed and I did wonder if anything was used as Ben's about a week away from my final tank fitting. I'll go and have a look in my parts book now.

Where did you get it from Andy?

55Kab wrote:

WW via KK - about £10 IIRC?
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Well I'm no expert but I think the pin in your hinge is designed for a mirror with a curved out arm, so the arm drops over the pin and a nut secures it in place.

What is called the "pear" shaped mirror has an arm with a combined nut that screws onto the pin which would have a thread all the way down the exposed part.

55Kab wrote:

Yeah - the one I have is a pear shaped one with a fine splined end as you can see in the top of the picture - it also comes with that schome mounting adaptor which is resting diagonally in the pic also.

I like the look of the little round mirrors designed for threaded hinge pins.... BUT... all the threaded hing pins I see have very large threads on the top and not the small slim ones I have.

I need to know what mirror will actually fit mine, and where to get one from.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Si Med
13 years ago
Almost there now LT!

Hope you don't mind me asking a question, but as your ovals looks different to mine it may be relevant.
My oval had a different firewall to this, which looks corrugated.

Which years were these from, as im confident there original but have only seen a handful of other cars with them?
54 UK rhd
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Just nipped in from the garager whilst I get the new battery installed etc and it appears I'm missing part of the battery strap clasp.

I've got the strap and also the U shaped pice which forms the 'cam' paer of the clasp, but not the part that links the loop of the battery strap to the hook flange welded to the pan.

If anyone has an old one they wish to sell or donate to the cause, I'd be most grateful.

Update coming soon.....

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Whilst I'm building up to the big day, I'm now tacking all the silly fiddly jobs that might hinder progress on the day.

I needed to fit the flexi fuel hose to the rear and did so with the stainless clips again... well, because I had them so why not. Note the new rubber grommet where the solid line exits the frame horn.

UserPostedImage

And where it joins the solid line that enters the engine bay through the rear tin shroud.

UserPostedImage

I thought it best to fill the transmission with oil before I forgot...!
It takes 2 litres for an oil change, or 2.5 litres from completely empty after a strip down of the axles etc.

There wasn't much space for the funnel, or indeed to empty the container of oil into the container. It felt a bit like trying to take a pee into the toilet from the hallway with your hands tied behind your back without getting any on the carpet...

UserPostedImage

I thought it might help things along a little on Wednesday if it actually had a battery, as I didn't want my lawn mower getting jealous watching me try to pull start it with a length of rope round the pulley.

Only a correct rubber cased original 404 battery would do...

UserPostedImage

It had been a while since I'd snorted a line of NOS, so I went for a rummage in the holy box of musty smells which rather conveniently surrendered a nice NOS battery cover.... don't you love it when that happens?

UserPostedImage

Nice perfect tight fit!

UserPostedImage

The rear of the floor pan and battery tray was caked in about an inch of farm dust and before I fitted the battery thought it best to give it a good vacuum, stiff brush and then soaking in the protective sealing wax.

Like everywhere else, other than a little surface rust which pretty much wiped off with a soft brass brush, it's solid as a rock - same sort of condition as the inner wings. It looks dark and shiny in this picture because of all the wax that was still wet when I took the picture.

UserPostedImage

As the car will spend extended times in storage through the winter months and general infrequent use, I thought it prudent to invest in a 6V charger / cycler / conditioner which I have left attached to make sure we have healthy cranking ability should it refuse to fire up quickly.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And finally.... This is where I'm up to with the battery strap...

UserPostedImage

Anyone got a picture, dimensions or even better, a spare clasp I might acquire to fill the missing link between the strap and the flange hook?

Not long now boys and girls....

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Tall Bloke
13 years ago
Hi LT
Your PM box is full, I am looking for the steering box seals, can you PM me costs & PP details
Cheers Tim
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Hi LT
Your PM box is full, I am looking for the steering box seals, can you PM me costs & PP details
Cheers Tim

Tall Bloke wrote:

Sorry - inundated with enquiries and keep forgetting to clear my box...
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Well boys and girls, I can do no more - we're ready to run!

I've just been out and adjusted the timing, set the plug gaps, checked the valve clearances, set the points gap, set the idle mixture screw, checked the oil and made sure the plug leads are all in the correct order.

I then turned the motor over for a few sessions and was please to watch the generator light go out, shortly followed by the oil pressure light which tells me at least the fundamental vital signs are all there.

The temptation to sprinkle some of Kuwait's finest down it's throat and go for it was strong, but I made a promise to my Dad that we'd start it together and that's what we'll do - I owe him that much for all the help, advice and support he's given me throughout.

Fingers crossed, eh?

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Do not forget the video

TSAF wrote:

Not likely... :thumbup:

I even bought a new video camera!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
pmono
13 years ago
Is it just me or does anyone feel like their life is slightly on hold until this machine roars in to life.. dont think ill be able to sleep tonight.
good luck !
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Is it just me or does anyone feel like their life is slightly on hold until this machine roars in to life.. dont think ill be able to sleep tonight.
good luck !

pmono wrote:

You and me both! :omg:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
Dont forget to tighten the clutch cable lock nut:wink:
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Dont forget to tighten the clutch cable lock nut:wink:

cupa65 wrote:

:rofl:

Just come in from doing that very job!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
TSAF
13 years ago

good luck !

pmono wrote:

That is so true. After reading this thread I decided to place my 1303 German Look for sale (https://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2493033.htm). I will use the money to fund an Oval or a zwitter.
13 years ago
How did it go? :thumbup:
www.vwoval.co.uk
mooney3019
13 years ago
Did you line up the dots on the cam ? 😛 can wait I have no finger nails left !!
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Cant believe i forgot tonight was start up night:rofl:
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Been a tough day.... uploading to youtube now.

Within the hour fingers crossed.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
TEXAS PETE
13 years ago
Hope all goes well!