54 Gertie
13 years ago
Two bottom studs, one long bolt for starter, and one short bolt for by the clutch release arm.

17mm nuts of all, I *guess* with washers but I haven't any fitted.

At worst just get it in with three and fit the short one when you find it, wont do any harm and some people run like that all the time.

I would also suggest sliding the choke and throttle cables through the fan shroud before the engine is fully in place, makes it far easier than fumbling around above the gearbox.

William
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Well, I found the missing hardware – lets never speak of it again....

So, what has the last two days brought – not as much as I hoped to be honest, but progress none the less. I’d made a list of outstanding jobs and put approximate times of how long they should take to complete next to them. As always, it took a lot longer to do certain jobs.

I was sent a NOS screw terminal brake light switch from a kind thread follower to keep things all nice and correct.

UserPostedImage

I then soaked the bare ends of the wires in oven cleaner to clean up the corroded copper wire to ensure a good contact.

UserPostedImage

And hey presto – that looks better!

UserPostedImage

The solid brake lines I’d formed months ago went on next followed by the solid line from the resevoir...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Out came the NOS ATE hoses to match the rears...

UserPostedImage

Which went into the cylinders first...

UserPostedImage

Then onto the ends of the solids...

UserPostedImage

I was then able to fill the reservoir with some of Munich’s finest...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Which quickly resulted in this...

UserPostedImage

Hmmm, that’s not right – turns out I’d been sent a fuel line grommet instead of the correct master cylinder grommet and as the holes are a different size, the leak was inevitable. No sweat – a new one is on order, but frustratingly, it stopped me bleeding, adjusting and setting up the brakes.

What else could I do.... I know – lets fit the motor!

With the car up on my new ‘Empire State’ axle stands, I positioned the motor on a large piece of high density foam and slid it into place...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then, with help from Dad, we ‘manoeuvred’ it onto a smaller padded jack...

UserPostedImage

At this point, the experienced amongst you will spot the deliberate mistake – I’d forgotten to remove the rear engine tin which caused Dad and I a fair bit of head scratching before I realised and slapped myself round the garage like a bitch, all the time being chased by Dad who was trying to slap me round like a bitch! Oh well, it seems funny now...

With the rear tin removed, we very carefully lifted it into position, which I must admit was a bit of a squeeze and required some imaginative angles and approaches to get everything to clear the valance apron whilst not catching the transmission input shaft with the clutch, but we got there in the end.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And ta-daa! Finally back where it belongs...

UserPostedImage

Just to prove that I haven’t cheated and that I have used all the correct bolts, here’s the proof – excuse the blurry pics, the camera struggles to focus on macro when the light is low.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here is a picture of the ‘OEM’ V-belts I can supply – this one will be scrapped as soon as it has removed the rust from within the pulley grooves.

UserPostedImage

Making sure the top layer of the engine seal was above the tin whilst keeping the lower lip below took some finger scraping and blue language, but it eventually settled into place.

UserPostedImage

One of the jobs I’ve been looking forward to doing for a very long time was fitting the tail pipes. I’d ordered and returned several pairs from various suppliers, all promising to be superior quality etc, etc – but they were all rubbish. After a long search to find something of appropriate quality, I settled on treating the car to it’s one and only aftermarket performance accessory, but a cool one never the less – genuine Theo Dekker pipes which are chrome plated stainless steel and beautiful, precision made items!

UserPostedImage

There are of course the heater cables and heater boxes to connect and clutch to adjust etc, but I was desperate to get it back on it’s wheels again, so took a few final shots of underneath before rolling it out into daylight for the first time in months.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I’m sure he enjoyed the fresh air!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Been a while since I saw this...

UserPostedImage

Here is a quick shot of my new ‘Pie crust’ Firestone 5.6 crossplys, complete with inner tubes – these were not cheap!

UserPostedImage

Very satisfying day – eventually!

So – what’s left to do before I can take it for the MOT inspection?

As I see it, my job list looks like this...

1) Bleed and set up brakes
2) Fit new front shocks
3) Adjust front link pins
4) Rough set up of front end alignment
5) Fit fuel tap to tank
6) New tank gasket
7) Fit fuel tank and connect hose and tap
8 ) Fit rear fuel hose
9) Charge battery
10) Fill gearbox with oil
11) Test run motor!!!
12) Adjust handbrake
13) Test electrics and clean all contacts etc
14) Fit LED tail lights
15) Connect up heater hoses and cables

It can then be driven and inspected. Once this has been done, I can then start on all the cosmetics and fiddly stuff that doesn’t stop the car being used. This list is a long one, but one we’ll get through together with another 1,000 pictures I’m sure.

I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago

Theo Dekker pipes which are chrome plated stainless steel

Last Triumph wrote:

NICE :thumbup:
lucifar666
13 years ago
That is looking the biz, you lucky so and so:drool:
Last Triumph
13 years ago

That is looking the biz, you lucky so and so:drool:

lucifar666 wrote:

Reserve judgement until you see it in the flesh - it's a tatty old beaten up nail in real life.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Anyone got an original working screw terminal oil pressure switch they want to sell, maybe of an old parts motor etc?

I bought a new German item, but it doesn't fit correctly, so I want an original.

pm me if you can help?

Cheers.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Not much of a report tonight, as yesterday I pulled muscle in my chest and it hurts to take even shallow breaths, so didn't feel up to doing much, but I did manage to fit the new correct OEM Boge shocks...

UserPostedImage

Which I peeled the labels off before fitting...

UserPostedImage

And then fiddled around for a while setting up and adjusting the link pins, which I found a very vague process. Basically, nip them up tight, then crack them back a touch to remove any bind, then tighten the pinch bolts. Anyway, they're fine, there's no play, and the front end moves up and down freely, so they must be about right.

One little snippet of greatness, is that I finally got my new registration number certificate through, which allowed me to order some new number plates.

Not just any only number plates, but the correct polished cast aluminium 'ACE' plates which whilst about five times the price of normal pressed plates, are correct and in my opinion look the mutt's nuts!

Nice number too....

UserPostedImage

It's just taped in position here, and needs gently bending to match the contour of the deck lid etc, but you get the idea...

UserPostedImage

Can't wait!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago
Nice score Andy
Surely that wasn't standard issue from the DVLA.  DSC06521.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Nice score Andy
Surely that wasn't standard issue from the DVLA.

'50 Karmann wrote:

No chance - I bought it as a private plate - couldn't resist, and better than a 'YUC' plate or whatever other combo's they're putting out at the moment...
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

The entire hub carrier please. Car looking very cool.
Have you tried the BMW motorcycle transparent wax? It's ideal for under bonnet. Can get you a part number if you like.

Cheers
55Kab
13 years ago
Nice work Andy.....so glad you got that plate, it looks very good on the car.

With so little to do I reckon you could have it MOT'd and running by VolksWorld. It would be great it you can take it there so we can all have a look at her/him?

Last Triumph
13 years ago

Hi

The entire hub carrier please. Car looking very cool.
Have you tried the BMW motorcycle transparent wax? It's ideal for under bonnet. Can get you a part number if you like.

Cheers

cupa65 wrote:

Sorry bud, I didn't measure the entire carrier, only the depth of the seal shoulder. :oops:

I'll see how the motor runs before coating anything in more wax, but thanks.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Nice work Andy.....so glad you got that plate, it looks very good on the car.

With so little to do I reckon you could have it MOT'd and running by VolksWorld. It would be great it you can take it there so we can all have a look at her/him?

55Kab wrote:

I only get every other weekend off work, and sadly I'm working that weekend.

Plus, that only gives me two weekends to get it up, running, MOT'd, registered and reliability checked etc which isn't enough time to be fair.

Plus, it's a long old haul for it's first journey...

I've set my sights on Stanford Hall as it's first public appearance, which gives me enough time to trouble shoot any issues that might need addressing.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
RoRoVw
13 years ago
Brilliant number! It looks really good on the car - very distinctive.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Brilliant number! It looks really good on the car - very distinctive.

RoRoVw wrote:

Someone pointed out to me that it almost says NOS in the middle! :thumbup:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Robb
13 years ago
am i missing something here LT?

after all the detail work, and you put a long numberplate on the back? 😳

why not fit the proper square one on the back and the long one on the front?

apologies if i missed something :mellow:
Caledfryn
13 years ago

Robb wrote:

Hmm, I was thinking that!

Looks fantastic though. Making me feel very very guilty. (And I'm sure Ben will be along in a minute to have a go at me! :wink: )
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Robb wrote:

Look at the 'discovered' photos, it had a long Portuguese one originally. Also he'd have been left with mounting holes either side of a square plate.
William
Caledfryn
13 years ago

Look at the 'discovered' photos, it had a long Portuguese one originally. Also he'd have been left with mounting holes either side of a square plate.

54 Gertie wrote:

Ahh! (Accompanied to the sound of hand slapping forehead :roll: lol )
Robb
13 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

i'd rather have the holes then an odd looking plate imho :lol:

horses for courses, keep up the great work LT!:thumbup: