55Kab
13 years ago
BTW - looking increasingly likely you can make Sandown Park Andy :!: :wink:

Last Triumph
13 years ago

You reckon...go tell the hangar manager that here :rofl:

If may not be that flammable but it soon becomes an irritant if you get it on your skin, or worse, in your eyes.

55Kab wrote:

Nah, it's no worse than a typical aeroplane crash - if you survive that, getting soaked in a little Jet A1 is a walk in the park.

It may well be an irritant, but compared to all the other irritant's in my life, it can wait it's turn in the queue....
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago

BTW - looking increasingly likely you can make Sandown Park Andy :!: :wink:

55Kab wrote:

Who?
What?
Where?
When?
How?

Me?

Would you recognise me in a line up?
I doubt it!
I could've been anybody....
You aint seen me, right!

:shock:

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
The NOS thrust washers arrived today and have been shipped to Alex who will finish off the king pin job for me and once they are back, more exciting progress will be made.

In the mean time, I've had a couple more parcels arrive...

I finally got the new ignition lock and key in the post so decided it was a quick and easy job to fit whilst I'm in limbo. It's in almost as new condition.

UserPostedImage

If you recall, I had a bit of a rats nest of additional blue wiring and disgraceful spade connectors that had been used to fit an after market ignition switch decades ago. I carefully and methodically removed everything and unwound all the connections, prizing all the spade crimp terminals apart, desperately trying not to damage any of the original wiring.

After a few hours of careful fiddling, I was delighted to return it all to 'factory' with no damage to the original wires at all!

I also used it as a good opportunity to give the area behind the dash a good clean.

UserPostedImage

And here it is looking much more like it!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Thankfully, the original hole in the dash had not been enlarged to accommodate the replacement switch, so the correct one fitted back in perfectly.

Another little job I'd been putting off until I could find the correct part was to replace this damaged brake shoe star adjuster which had lost a tooth at some point in it's life.

UserPostedImage

Despite my good friend Smull sending me one of his spares off a later car, it just wasn't the correct part. After calling round all the usual suppliers, all they were able to offer were new later model versions which whilst will work, still wouldn't be correct.

So the search began and would you believe where I eventually found a brand new correct and original brass replacement?

UserPostedImage

Right in the heart of Wolfsburg!

Nice!

Fitted as required - looking a bit new and shiny, but at least it is correct!

UserPostedImage

Thanks for sticking with me through this barren patch.... won't be long now!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Good news - Alex called today to tell me that the steering knuckle assemblies are finished and were shipped out this afternoon which means I can get some front end progress done very soon!

In the mean time, I had a little fettle in the garage in preparation...

I'd saved all the original shim washers used to set up the correct offset for the link pins, but they were in a bit of a sorry state...

UserPostedImage

After a quick bath, I then thoroughly cleaned all 40 of them to give me a grit and tarnish free basis to start from...

UserPostedImage

And because I simply can't help myself, gave them all just a little polish to make sure they were nice and 'clean'....

UserPostedImage

This job was even more tedious than I'd hoped...

I know the king and link pin kit I bought comes with all new washers, but hey!

I also cleaned up the front drums in readiness for having the new bearings pressed in. I'm amazed at how well they came up and also how little wear is on them, but I guess at 36k miles, that's what you'd expect.

It was lovely to see this...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Check out the reflection of the spanner in the original paint!

UserPostedImage

Sorry it's not much, it all I got! (for now)!

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
*** Tumble weed blows through the thread quietly in the distance ***
I can supply...
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago
Get up Andy and get on with it.  BDD_tumbleweed_head_perfectuk.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I never knew drums were ever that thick!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Made some decent progress today, but before I report, here is an update that I have cut ‘n pasted direct from my good friend Alex who has been doing a super precision job on the king pin assemblies for me. This is what he posted.....

Had a delivery of Andys King and link stub axles this week - managed to get onto them today

UserPostedImage

First job - press out link pin bushes

UserPostedImage

Followed by the Kingpin

UserPostedImage

All dismantled ready to press out kingpin bushes

UserPostedImage

Kingpin bushes out

UserPostedImage

All stripped

UserPostedImage

Then a quick clean up in the parts washer - get all the old gluey grease residue out

UserPostedImage

All clean - new bushes and Kingpin ready for reassembly

UserPostedImage

New bushes pressed in

UserPostedImage

Next job - reaming up the new bushes to fit the new kingpin - bushes are supplied oversize so you ream them with a pilot and guide reamer set to size them properly

UserPostedImage

Its a slow job - you have to gradually increase the reamers size until the kingpin is a snug fit - if you make it too slack then it will wear faster and you will have the same problem all ver again

UserPostedImage

Once reamed to size you have to file out the two slots that the metal cap slots into

UserPostedImage

Another scrub in the parts washer to get rid of any brass shavings

UserPostedImage

Old fibre friction washer

UserPostedImage

New fibre friction washer - bit thicker so should compensate for any wear

UserPostedImage

Thrust washer pin back in place

UserPostedImage

Thrust washer located on pin

UserPostedImage

Fibre friction washer next

UserPostedImage

Finally metal cap fitted

UserPostedImage

At which point normally you should be able to gently squeeze the whole assembly back into the carrier - however with Andys set they slotted in easily - far too easily !!

UserPostedImage

So - time to get the manual out

UserPostedImage

According to the manual - vw made oversize thrust washers to compensate for such wear

UserPostedImage

so with the carrier weighing in at

UserPostedImage

and the stub at

UserPostedImage

and with the current thrust washer at 3.52mm - the whole stub assembly being 56.45 mm we need an oversize thrust washer around the 3.7 - 3.8mm range

Over to you Andy - time for some NOS hunting again!!!

I love a challenge, so scoured the world looking for some NOS thrust washers, and as luck would have it, found a full set of all the sizes in Germany, which once they arrived, I shipped the appropriate sizes straight to Alex for him to fit. Alex set to work, did the final assembly, then shipped them back to me. They arrived yesterday!

UserPostedImage

He really has done a perfect precision job, for which I am ever so grateful.

Before I got too excited assembling everything, I took the opportunity of them still being loose on the bench to install the bearing spacers which also act as the sealing surface for the front hub seals. Note the wear on the face of my originals......

UserPostedImage

I wasn’t happy with this, and not wanting to risk future leaks, invested in a set of genuine VW replacements. This is the sort of stuff that just keeps on ramping up the costs, but well worth it.

UserPostedImage

I polished the seal face to make sure there was a good surface for the hub seals...

UserPostedImage

...then as they are a tight press fit, I used some large pullers in reverse to pull them on to the spindles. The claws on the puller legs need something to grip on to, so I reversed an old spacer and used this to drive it on, which also saved damaging the front face of the new spacers. I ground out the inside diameter of the old spacer until it was a slip fit as there was no point trying to press them both on!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I then unpacked the new link pins and shims. At this point it became apparent that there was a small discrepancy..... New King and Link pin kits come with the later style (March ‘60) rubber seal and retainer cap which was not part of the original fitment of the car. These later kits use only 8 shims top and bottom instead of the pre ‘60 10 shims like I should have. To get around this, I mic’d up the best 4 original shims and added them to the new ones to allow me to set it up as per factory.

UserPostedImage

To set up the correct spacing to allow the link pins to seat correctly, it is important to measure the offset between the upper and lower trailing arms. The upper training arm should be 7mm further inboard that the lower training arm with an acceptable tolerance of +/-2mm. Any difference to the ideal 7mm is compensated for by moving the shims from one side of the steering knuckle to the other. There is a table in the manual that gives you all the numbers which was very useful...

UserPostedImage

To measure the trailing arm offset, the manual suggests running a straight edge off the lower trailing arm up towards the upper arm, them measuring the gap. I had a go at this but found the results a bit hit and miss, so decided to measure them a little more accurately, just to be certain I could get it absolutely perfect.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As they were both just a whisker under 7.5mm, only 1 shim displacement was required as per the table. It was nice to note that both sides are practically the same.

So, with all the shims in the correct place, I assembles the knuckles on the trailing arms, greased all the joints, cleaned everything down, then coated them with the sealing wax. I'll adjust the link pins properly when the beam is more stable, mounted to the car.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And this is how I left it for the day, ready to go back on the car, and much cleaner and better than when I took it off!

UserPostedImage

All that is left to do before hand is clean and protect the front inner wings and behind the spare wheel well, then I can bolt it all back together then fit the front brakes.

Getting there slowly!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
HI

I feel much more relaxed now that you have used Febi. Thought I had made a mistake by using them instead of NOS Volkswagen.:smile:
Last Triumph
13 years ago

HI

I feel much more relaxed now that you have used Febi. Thought I had made a mistake by using them instead of NOS Volkswagen.:smile:

cupa65 wrote:

Nah...

They are about as good as you can get.

I did search for a while for NOS, but it's a bit like searching for NOS oil or tyres.

They're a service item designed to be replaced.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
So when is the first outing? What a Northwest breakaway group?
Last Triumph
13 years ago

So when is the first outing? What a Northwest breakaway group?

cupa65 wrote:

I'm booked into the historic line up at Stanford Hall which will be the car's first public outing.

I intend to get a few miles under it's belt before hand to ensure reliable running and to iron out any issues that may develop.

:d

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Arminius
13 years ago
Hi, couple of queries - have you had any problems with paint reacting with jet fuel or the brake cleaner? Also which sealing wax did you go for in the end, and is it a easy product to use?
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Hi, couple of queries - have you had any problems with paint reacting with jet fuel or the brake cleaner? Also which sealing wax did you go for in the end, and is it a easy product to use?

Arminius wrote:

No paint reaction to jet fuel (kerosene) or brake cleaner.

Sealing wax is Tectyl 506 by valvoline - very easy to use - point and squirt.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
51reutter
13 years ago
Hi Andy,
Once again congrats on an amazing work!
Can I ask where could I get a Workshop Manual like that one? This weekend I'm going to have a look at a Feb'55 Oval and if I bring it home, I will definitely need it :wink:

thanks

Joao

Instagram | @early_type
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Hi Andy,
Once again congrats on an amazing work!
Can I ask where could I get a Workshop Manual like that one? This weekend I'm going to have a look at a Feb'55 Oval and if I bring it home, I will definitely need it :wink:

thanks

Joao

51reutter wrote:

PM sent...

I can supply...
PM me for details...
spillo491
13 years ago

Nah...

They are about as good as you can get.

I did search for a while for NOS, but it's a bit like searching for NOS oil or tyres.

They're a service item designed to be replaced.

Last Triumph wrote:

I have a nos king/link pin for my 62 ragtop, are they not good in your opinion ?
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I have a nos king/link pin for my 62 ragtop, are they not good in your opinion ?

spillo491 wrote:

I'm sure a NOS set are great - it's just that as a service / wear item, the German Bilstein kits are just as good quality as the originals, in my opinion.

I'd have liked NOS, but with the very limited availability of them, plus the very high quality (for a change) of the replacement item, I was happy to use the Bilstein items.

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Spent the day covered in crap again today as I cleaned up the front inner wheel arches.

It was a filthy and smelly job that saw me once again covered in jet fuel and crud from head to toe.

It takes several stages of cleaning to get it totally clean, grit and grease free, but after several hours, I am more than pleased to to report that the front end is just as mint as the rear.

Used a garden plant sprayer to apply the jet fuel - much easier!

UserPostedImage

Passenger side:-

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Drivers side:-

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then, once fully degreased will medical grade IPA, I gave it 3 thick coats of the sealing wax - still wet and shiny in these pics...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It really is a privilege to work on a car that is so utterly rot free!

Next job will be to mount the front beam back on.

Stay tuned....

I can supply...
PM me for details...