zelensis61
13 years ago
Nice body....from the oval. And a great documentary.
I think this is a blue print for the restoration of all pre67 beetles.:thumbup:

Do I see it right that the right front fender have a round hole that is covered up? The left one have a oval hole for the horn. It seems to be a Split-area front fender on the right side? That is strange or is it the angle of the pict taken.  DSC06303.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
GKL 7
13 years ago

Do I see it right that the right front fender have a round hole that is covered up? The left one have a oval hole for the horn. It seems to be a Split-area front fender on the right side? That is strange or is it the angle of the pict taken.

zelensis61 wrote:

I was wondering the same LT,looks like a Split era wing on the passenger side:?:
But outwardly looks correct.
Is it my old eyes or does the headlamp on that side look a little lower?
 4470907686_2a98641c47.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Last Triumph
13 years ago
It's your eyes buddy - plus there is a lot more light on the other wing and the tyres on the passenger side were flat.

The wings are definitely 100% original to the car and have never been removed or bolts undone. They have the original paint inside them and equal amounts of patina between them all.

The hole for the horn is there, it's just that the grill fitted has a blank backing plate.

Just checked my Oval parts manual and there is an optional accessory backing plate for the non-operative horn grill - part number 113 853 641 'A'

:thumbup:

I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
harveypj
13 years ago
[quote=Last TriumphThe hole for the horn is there, it's just that the grill fitted has a blank backing plate to it - if I put an 'open' grill on it like the other side, all would be well.

Maybe a Portuguese thing?

Not a Portuguese thing.
Standard model bugs only have a horn grill on one side, Deluxe models such as your's have holes both sides, the non horn side should be blanked with a metal plate behind the horn grill (painted black). I'm sure this was consistant all over the world. It's certanly the case with UK cars.
Stock......the new custom
GKL 7
13 years ago

It's your eyes buddy - plus there is a lot more light on the other wing and the tyres on the passenger side were flat.

The wings are definitely 100% original to the car and have never been removed or bolts undone. They have the original paint inside them and equal amounts of patina between them all.

The hole for the horn is there, it's just that the grill fitted has a blank backing plate.

Just checked my Oval parts manual and there is an optional accessory backing plate for the non-operative horn grill - part number 113 853 641 'A'

:thumbup:

Last Triumph wrote:

Not trying to take from the car at all,it's just i have never seen an oval with a round hole in that area,despite the side or the model.
GKL 7
13 years ago

Not a Portuguese thing.
Standard model bugs only have a horn grill on one side, Deluxe models such as your's have holes both sides, the non horn side should be blanked with a metal plate behind the horn grill (painted black). I'm sure this was consistant all over the world. It's certanly the case with UK cars.

harveypj wrote:

The hole looks round.
I don't know maybe it's the camera angle.Peter and i,both saw it that way.
 resource.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
13 years ago
its not a round hole, its just the angle of the photo... You wouldn't get an oval grill in a round hole :shock:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago

You wouldn't get an oval grill in a round hole :shock:

pre67vw wrote:

:oops: Never thought of that....i'm thinking of going for laser treatment,don't you know:oops:

Carry on the good work LT........
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Sorry - crossed wires.... I get what you mean now.

Camera angle - the hole is Oval and has the backing plate as discussed earlier.

All good in the hood.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Make the most of this one boys and girls, as this will be the last update for a while as I'm away with work for a couple of weeks from Monday...

Tried to get as much done today as possible, so we'll carry on from where we left off yesterday...

The original horn came up nice, and went back on with the original rubber boots for the cables still in good condition.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It was now finally time to put the front beam back on, which complete with spindles, is a fairly heavy and off balance object. I must admit, I did struggle getting it back in place all by myself, but with the help of a jack and some fruity language, I got it back safe where it belongs using some new locking tab straps on the four front bolts.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Which then allowed me to refit the steering arms using the original rubber tie rod end cups which amazingly were still in perfect condition.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Remember the cracked steering coupling? A kind fellow Samba member got in touch, and with the purchase of some of his other parts, he threw in with the deal a perfect NOS item!

UserPostedImage

Which allowed me to reconnect the column and earth strap.

UserPostedImage

And there it is - safe and sound.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Next up was the bump stops. The original's had perished and cracked, so I located a set of genuine items.

UserPostedImage

To move the upper trailing arm off the bump stop mount, I jacked up the suspension, then fitted the bump stop which is just a firm press fit.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I was now able to turn my attention to the front brake assemblies which had been previously built up and were waiting patiently on the shelf.

I bought a new set of taper roller bearings and took the drums into work to press the outer races of the bearings into place.

UserPostedImage

With the inner bearing fully packed with grease, I popped it into position.

UserPostedImage

I also bought a set of genuine front hub seals which are then pressed into place over the inner bearing.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Turning the drum over, it's the same with the outer bearing...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

At this point, you need to keep the drum this way up, as if you turn the drum over, the inner race will just fall out.

With the bare spindle on standby, the assembly can be built up. Similar to when I did the rear brakes, I put the camera on a tripod in front of the drum and just took a picture of every step, so forgive these pics all looking similar.

UserPostedImage

The brake backing plate is held on with three 17mm 8G bolts which are secured at 32 ft/lbs and use a locking wire. I had to search around quite a bit to find wire of the correct gauge, but it eventually turned up in a florists....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

With the backing plate mounted, the drum can be slid onto the spindle. The inner bearing race should be a snug fit on the spindle and will need a little force to get them on, but nothing drastic.

UserPostedImage

Followed by the locking thrust washer...

UserPostedImage

Then the first 27mm nut...

UserPostedImage

This first nut should be tightened until you start to feel a little resistance when turning the drum and it no longer spins freely. It's then backed off a little. A good measure of the correct torque is where there is no play in the bearings at all, yet the thrust washer can be just about moved a little with a screw driver yet the drum turns smoothly without excessive dragging.

UserPostedImage

Then the new locking tab washer goes on...

UserPostedImage

Then the second lock nut goes on to nip them together, followed by folding the arms of the tab washer in opposite directions to secure both nuts at the same time.

UserPostedImage

Finally, the bearing cap is pressed into place.

UserPostedImage

The only points to note on the other side are that the speedo cable goes through the spindle and is secured with a little circlip to the bearing cover, and also that the left had side has left handed threads.

And that's all I had time for....
I can supply...
PM me for details...
51reutter
13 years ago
Thanks for the present on my mailbox Andrew :d
Perfect!!! I don't think I´ll sleep at all tonight :thumbup:

Thanks again

Joao

Instagram | @early_type
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Thanks for the present on my mailbox Andrew :d
Perfect!!! I don't think I´ll sleep at all tonight :thumbup:

Thanks again

Joao

51reutter wrote:

Glad it arrived safely. :d
I can supply...
PM me for details...
69project
13 years ago
really looking forward to seeing this all finished and on the road(which shouldnt be too long???),i think your smile will be huge!

si
Car less.....
Last Triumph
13 years ago

really looking forward to seeing this all finished and on the road(which shouldnt be too long???),i think your smile will be huge!

si

69project wrote:

I'm away on a course with work at the moment, so there won;t be any progress for a week or so, but yeah - the big milestone will be MOT and registration.

However - just because it is on the road and running does not mean it will be finished - far from it...
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
I knew I'd bought those new brake pipe clips for a reason, then sold them again.... :oops:

Anyone got a pair of original (rusty or otherwise) brake pipe C clips I could beg, steel, borrow or swap for a nice v belt etc???

:shock:

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Back from my course and back in the garage....

But had a bitch of a day - one of those days where you are thwarted at every step - still I shouldn't complain, as it's the first and only frustrating day so far.

I need some very embarrassing and simple information please?

Currently, the engine is back in the car..... ish.

Despite all my fastidious and meticulous parts storage, I 'think' I'm missing some engine mounting hardware.

Please can someone confirm exactly what I am supposed to have?

There are two studs sticking out of the bottom of the crank case which if I'm correct, get a 17mm nut and washer each side.

The top, if my books and manuals are correct tell me that I should have a long bolt on the starter motor side and a shorter one on the other side, again with 17mm nuts and washers.

However - I've got 4 nuts, 2 washers and 1 long bolt!

How this has happened I'll never know and I'm tearing what little of my hair I have left out looking for them, but just in case I'm looking for something I shouldn't have, thought I'd ask.

So should I have in total....

4 x 17mm nuts, each with a washer?
1 x long bolt for starter motor side?
1 x shorter bolt for the other top mount?

Or have I got it wrong?

My exploded diagram from the parts book suggests that a washer is used only under the nuts, and not the upper two bolt heads?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
I would think about the bolt with the semi circular end. They are easier to fit.
Ps thought you'd got stuck under the car.:oops:
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I would think about the bolt with the semi circular end. They are easier to fit.
Ps thought you'd got stuck under the car.:oops:

cupa65 wrote:

Do you mean the starter motor one?

Yes, I can see what you mean, the head of the bolt wants to bind on the body of the starter motor before it goes all the way through the hole.

I'll loosen the lower starter motor bolt to give me some wiggle to get it through and in place.

Just gotta find the missing bolt and 3 washers now.

Got loads of pics on the camera, but I'll post them when the job's done.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
Thats the one.
As a matter of interest did you measure the total thickness of the rear wheel hub/bearing carrier? You know the one where the rear hub seal fits. I have fitted 356 rear brakes and backing plates so could do with it for reference.

Cheers

Ps how are trainers holding up? What with the vinegar, jet fuel and Techtyl wax!

Last Triumph
13 years ago

Thats the one.
As a matter of interest did you measure the total thickness of the rear wheel hub/bearing carrier? You know the one where the rear hub seal fits. I have fitted 356 rear brakes and backing plates so could do with it for reference.

Cheers

Ps how are trainers holding up? What with the vinegar, jet fuel and Techtyl wax!

cupa65 wrote:

Trainers expired the other week. Four of my 5 toes had come out to play, so it was time for the bin. They lasted 13 years of workshop abuse, so not bad.

Is it the entire hub carrier thickness you need, or just the depth of seal shelf?
I can supply...
PM me for details...